Monday 27 June 2016

Talking about Disabilities

If You Can't See It, It Doesn't Mean It's Not There!

I have no shame in coming out and saying that I have a disability. My disability is Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. This basically means my joints move beyond the normal range of movement (basically severely double jointed). Some symptoms that come with Joint Hypermobility is pain on a daily basis, clumsiness and my joints can dislocate but thankfully this hasn't happened yet! (click here to see my post about living with Joint Hypermobility)



Unfortunately for me, all my hospital appointments and scans started when I was in year 12 whilst taking my A-levels. I was studying Media, Sociology, Art and Design Technology which became a struggle as I was doing a lot of writing for sociology and drawing and 'DIY' for both Art and Design Technology. So as you can imagine some teachers thought I would struggle and I proved them wrong and made it to university studying Football Business and Media.

This isn't a post that'll just be me going on and on about myself, but here is the reason for sharing my story.

Firstly, I will start by saying if you have a disability you can't let it hold you back. Don't let your disability be the reason for not trying new things and sounds cheesy but following your dreams. I was afraid I wouldn't make it to university due to my disability but I just had to change a few things to get there like the course I was doing and it's been the best decision of my life. Don't let your disability control you, control it instead.

Statistics I found show that in England, there are 9.4 million disabled population which is 18% of the population. 17% of people are born with their disabilities along with 1 in 20 children and 1 in 5 working adults.

Whereas some other statistics I found which disappoint and anger me are:
  • 38% of people believe disabled people are a burden on society
  • 27% of people believe disabled people are treated differently and this is because lack of knowledge around the topic of disabilities
  • 180 disability hate crimes are committed everyday which results in victims losing their confidence
Most importantly 52% of people believe disabilities are physical. This statistic really shocked me, which makes me question what if somebody's disability isn't obvious to you? Like disabilities you cannot see which is why I used mine as an example.

It's important to recognise that just because you can't see someone's disability doesn't mean it isn't there.

If you'd like to share your story please comment below or email me on agirlwithablog16@gmail.com I would love to hear from everyone and anyone! Thanks so much for reading.

Sam x


No comments:

Post a Comment